April 8, 2011

I read your blog


Ring ring.
Hi, Ben Bravery speaking. 
Hi Ben, you don't know me, but I read your blog...

The call was from Canada, the caller Canadian. I didn't know him but he was learning about cancer from my blog. He found a link to the blog from a friend's social feed.

This blog of mine gets a nice number of hits every day. I'm sure most of those are a select few people checking the page every 32 minutes, but a great number of people from a great many countries still check the blog regularly. I would love to know who it is in Panama and Thailand and Argentina.

I started this blog as a way to reach out. I got the idea after reading some studies into the effect of social connectedness and cancer survival.

We are, after all, social

Did you know that just the mere fact of joining a cancer support group can improve your chances of survival? And the more you attend that group the longer you are likely to live?

Did you that know that people who can name close friends with ease are more likely to survive cancer than those that can't?

You don't need to be in the same room as your supporters either. Connections made through social networking sites, email and the web may be just as good at helping you live longer.

So thanks to my caller from Canada, you made my week and boosted my immune system.

11 comments:

  1. What can I do to boost your immune system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I was your Thai reader... I'm now your Cambodian reader in any case :) Blessings and thoughts of health and peace out to you Ben. Take care amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming to you from Cloaca-land, Tasmania :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be your Panama hit, Braves. If Panama stops and Costa Rica then Nicaragua starts it's definitely me. The only thing more important to me to read than BBC News is Ben B Brave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With you in Brooklyn, NSW not NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could have been me in Thailand too Benny. Once I found out I had to read every page in detail. Supporting you now from Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. British but in Beijing, support here always... although we have never met! One drafted email addressed to Ben in my saved folder - never sent - thats going to be rectified... so you will be hearing from me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading from Cairns FNQ...after daughter, Jeanette(ex AYAD-Beijing) sent me your post, I have been keeping a keen eye on your progress and wish you the utmost best and a fast and complete recovery. All my fingers, legs, toes and being kept crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben - long time since we last crossed paths at Bernard's salon in Beenleigh Qld. Stunned to hear your news but absolutely thrilled at your attitude and determination. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Meggie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ben - I might be your Argentinean reader..... Reading your blog has inspired some fairly intrepid missions to find All-Bran in Buenos Aires! All the best with the upcoming surgical consult. Shaun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your post, all the moreso since I had just published a piece on the importance of connectedness for health, including connections even to plants and pets (come vist at http://wp.me/p22afJ-Ep if you've a mind to)--but completely forgot about social media sites, which I'd like to check out now that you've made that important point. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and glad it's so helpful to you in your journal. Best, Candida

    ReplyDelete